Chickpeas healthy falafel & hummus. Falafel recipe – A detailed step by step photo guide to make delicious chickpea falafel at home. Apart from serving these as a snack with tahini sauce or hummus, you can also stuff them in pita bread or wrap them in a flatbread with pickled veggies & tahini sauce. These falafel can be fried or even baked for a healthier option.
Combine mashed chickpeas, onions, parsley, and garlic in a blender and blend until smooth. Healthy falafel recipe using canned chickpeas Note: If using dried chickpeas you must soak these overnight in cold water. You can have Chickpeas healthy falafel & hummus using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chickpeas healthy falafel & hummus
- It’s 200 gms of chickpeas.
- It’s 1 of medium onion.
- Prepare 3-4 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1 of green chilli.
- Prepare Handful of coriander leaves.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of red chilli powder.
- Prepare 1.5 tbsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of cumin powder.
- You need 1/4 cup of white sesame seeds.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of maida.
- Prepare 1/3 tbsp of baking soda.
- It’s 5-6 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 2 tbsp of black olives.
Falafel was originally made with fava beans and continues to be made this way in Egypt and other Arab countries, but Israeli falafel is almost universally made from chickpeas. Add chickpeas, fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro, and dill), garlic, onion, and spices to food processor and pulse a little bit at a time until the mixture is finely ground. Make some falafel for an easy, and satisfying veggie lunch. These Middle Eastern chickpea patties are delicious in burgers, pittas, wraps, salads and more.
Chickpeas healthy falafel & hummus instructions
- Soak the chickpeas overnight. Now in a pressure cooker let it cook till it's 80% boiled. It will take 10-12 whistles on high flame. Open the lid & let it cool down to room temperature..
- Now in a mixer jar add onion, 3 garlic cloves, green chilli & coriander leaves. Now add salt, chilli powder, black pepper & cumin powder to it..
- Add par boiled chickpeas and maida to the jar. Now make a crumbled batter..
- Transfer the batter into a bowl. Add baking soda & mix well. Now form small balls out of the batter by applying oil on your palm. Flatten it to make falafel..
- You can make falafel by using airfryer/oven. Preheat the air fryer/oven, place the falafel on 180°c for 18 minutes. Or you can simply shallow fry them in a pan. You can also deep fry falafel but I like to keep it healthy & non-fried..
- Your chickpeas healthy & tasty falafel is ready..
- Now for hummus take 1/4 cup sesame seeds in a pan & dry roast till it turns light brown in colour. Now transfer the seeds in a mixer jar..
- Now add 1/4 cup olive oil to form a smooth paste. Add boiled 1.5 cup chickpeas, 1.5 tsp salt, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp chopped olives & 2 tbsp water to form a smoother paste. You can add 1-2 tbsp water if the mixer is still dry & not blending well..
- Garnish hummus with a drizzle of olive oil, a pinch of red chilli powder & black pepper. Chickpeas falafel & hummus is ready to be served..
Quick Falafel Recipe Using Canned Chickpeas. Traditionally, Falafel is made with soaked chickpeas which is processed in a food processor with lots of parsley, garlic and some spices, formed into round balls and deep fried into crispy yummy fritters. Adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook. How to Serve: * Falafel wraps / rolls – Use large or small flatbreads. Smear a good dollop of hummus or yoghurt (or Yoghurt Lemon Sauce, below) down the middle.