Cubed Steak & Gravy. Cube steak or cubed steak is a cut of beef, usually top round or top sirloin, tenderized and flattened by pounding with a meat tenderizer. The name refers to the shape of the indentations left by that process. I grew up eating cubed steak covered in gravy, like chicken fried steak, and just pan fried.
This country-style steak is covered in a super I love to serve Cubed Steak with Onion Gravy over mashed potatoes to soak up all that yummy gravy with a. Cube steak is a cut of meat that has been run through a mechanical tenderizer or pounded with a tenderizing mallet to create cube-shaped perforations. Braised Cubed Steak with Peppers, Onions and Olives is a flavorful, budget-friendly and family friendly dish you can make in the Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or in a pot on the stove. You can have Cubed Steak & Gravy using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cubed Steak & Gravy
- It’s 1 Lb of Cubed Steak.
- It’s 1 cup of Flour Seasoned with Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Paprika (about one teaspoon of each).
- Prepare 4 oz of Chopped Mushrooms.
- You need 1 of Small Yellow Onion Diced.
- It’s 2 Cloves of Garlic minced.
- It’s 2 Cups of Unsalted Beef Broth.
- It’s of Oil For Frying Steaks.
- Prepare 1 Tsp of Freshly chopped Thyme Leaves.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Butter.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Flour.
- You need of Chives or Parsley to Garnish.
Cubed Steak is derived from lean, boneless muscles of any major primal (ideally Chuck, Loin, Rib, or Round) exclusive of any Shank, Heel, Neck, and Stew Meat. Cubed Steaks must be free from bones. Cube Steak is as tender as can be and irresistible when smothered in a quick gravy made from onion soup mix—easy, simple, and hearty. Cube steak is steak that has been tenderized, but can still be tough.
Cubed Steak & Gravy step by step
- Prep all your ingredients. Salt and pepper your steaks on both sides and then dredge in the seasoned flour (I didn't measure my seasoning. Actually taste the flour and adjust to your taste preference.).
- Let your steaks sit in the flour while you heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Once pan is hot add your oil. You want enough oil to cover the pan by about half an inch. When oil just starts to ripple slowly add your steaks. Do them in batches like I did if you need to. Don't over crowd your pan. I fried up 2 at a time. Brown them on both sides and set on paper towels..
- Drain excess oil from pan but leave the brown bits from frying. This will add extra flavor to the gravy. Turn heat to medium low and return pan to stove. Add your onions and butter to the pan and cook down until soft and golden. Scrape the brown bits from pan as the onions cook down..
- Once the onions are soft and golden add the garlic and mushrooms. Stir and cook for just a minute. Add the tablespoon of flour and cook into the onions for just a few seconds. Slowly mix in your beef stock. You want to make sure the flour doesn't clump. It helps if your stock is at least room temp but it is even better if it's hot. Stir in the fresh thyme. Taste to see if you need to add any salt or pepper..
- Bring to a simmer and then add the steak to the gravy. Making sure to coat them well..
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for about an hour. stir the gravy and flip the steaks about every 15 minutes. If the gravy seems to thick you can add a little more liquid or if it seems to thin let it cook uncovered for a while. The longer you let the steaks simmer in the gravy the more tender they'll become..
- I served mine over rice and a side of cooked greens (kale in this case,) and garnished with chopped chives..
I like to cook it low and slow to get the This easy stove top or Crock Pot cube steak recipe uses minimal ingredients for maximum flavor. Watch how to make an incredibly easy cube steak. Seasoned steaks are fried and then slowly simmered in broth. After a couple hours, the meat comes out so tender and delicious. Cube Steak (even grass-fed) is pretty cheap so stock up.