Lentil gravy. Lentil Gravy I was tasked with the challenge of making a vegetarian, low-sodium, gluten-free gravy. Which sounds like a disaster or at least impossible, but this is exactly why lentils are so incredible. There's so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
The lentil roast was great and tasted delicious especially with the gravy. Absolutely fantastic meal had with roast potatoes and steamed vegetables. The base for this dish is a mushroom and lentil gravy/stew. You can have Lentil gravy using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lentil gravy
- Prepare 250 g of red lentils.
- You need 250 g of green lentils.
- Prepare 1 tsp of masala.
- You need 2 spoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 2 of medium onion.
- You need 2 of medium tomatoes.
- You need 1 cube of Beef stock.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of cumin.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
It starts with sautéed shallot and mushrooms seasoned with coconut aminos, salt, and pepper for rich, deep flavor. Then come lentils, thyme for aromatics, and vegetable broth. Heat the olive oil in a medium to large pot over medium high heat. Place cooked lentils in a skillet.
Lentil gravy step by step
- Pour boiling water over red and green lentils and leave to soak overnight.
- Boil red and green lentils for 30 minutes in twice amount of water as there are lentils.
- After 20 minutes add Worcestershire sauce, masala and salt.
- Finely dice onions and fry on medium heat for a minute,.
- Add cumin, fry for another 2 minutes then add stock cube till soft.
- Switch to lower heat, add chopped tomatoes and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and leave to simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine almond milk and spices together, adding a few dashes of smoked paprika. How To Make Lentil Meatballs (Vegan, Gluten-Free) To make these vegan lentil meatballs, first sort and wash dried lentils. Use brown or black lentils for this recipe, saute onion, garlic, herbs, add lentils, along with water or vegetable broth and cook until tender and liquid has evaporated. This lentil gravy is seriously good stuff and it's easy to put together. You'll want to cook the lentil separately and toss in some fresh or dried thyme, or you can also use canned if you are in a bit of a hurry.