BEEF STEW – OLD RECIPE. Combine the flour and pepper in a bowl, add the beef and toss to coat well. Add the beef a few pieces at a time; do not overcrowd. A traditional beef stew made from trimmed, lean beef chuck.
The best part is that you can make it the day before for the best flavor! This rich, hearty beef stew has a garden full of flavor with vegetables like cabbage, rutabaga and carrots. Choose the right beef for stew—you may be able to buy already cut up stew meat in the meat department or buy a chuck roast, that has a good ratio of fat and collagen marbled through the meat. You can have BEEF STEW – OLD RECIPE using 14 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of BEEF STEW – OLD RECIPE
- It’s 2 lb of Beef.
- You need 1 medium of Onion.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Flour.
- Prepare 3 cup of Water.
- You need 2 can of Stewed Tomatoes.
- It’s 1 can of Cut Green Beans.
- It’s 2 of Stalks of Celery.
- You need 2 cup of Baby Carrots.
- It’s 3 large of Potatoes.
- You need 2 tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce.
- It’s 1 tsp of Salt.
- You need 1 tsp of Black Pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder.
- Prepare 2 of Bay Leaves – Optional.
This Old Fashioned Beef Stew is pure comfort in a bowl with tender beef, hearty vegetables, and all the right herbs and spices—it's the best! We love the fall for lots of reasons, not the least of which is the reappearance of all of our favorite seasonal comfort foods in the grocery stores. Stay warm all winter with this classic Beef Stew made with red wine and beef stock from Delish.com. Some people have told us that this recipe is missing flour.
BEEF STEW – OLD RECIPE step by step
- Cut the beef length wise with a knife, then slice each piece into bite sized pieces with the scissors. (I use steak or roast).
- Sprinkle beef with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and flour before browning it in cooking oil in a medium high skillet..
- After browning beef, sprinkle lightly with flour again and continue to stir and brown..
- Add one cup water to browned meat and stir. This will make a nice brown gravy base for your stew..
- Chop onion and add to gravy base in skillet. Simmer a minute or two. No need to fully cook onion at this point. Then pour into large crockpot..
- Add the undrained tomatoes and undrained green beans to the crockpot..
- Cut baby carrots lengthwise in half. The bigger ones can be quartered lengthwise..
- Slice celery into small bite sized pieces and add to crockpot..
- Choose 3 large potatoes for the stew. (Baker Size) Quarter potatoes lengthwise, save two quarters back, and then slice the rest into normal bite sized pieces. Add to crockpot..
- Cut saved quarters of potatoes into tiny pieces..
- Add last bit of potatoes to crockpot. Then season stew with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and worcestershire sauce and stir well..
- Add 2 Cups of Water to crockpot and stir stew again. Let cook on high crockpot setting for 4 1/2 hours to 5 hours. Cooking time really depends on how you like your vegetables cooked..
There's no rule that beef stew needs a thickening agent. As always, feel free to make this recipe fit your family. Share: Rate this Recipe I am going to make this stew as it is chilly outside. I like old fashioned recipes like those my Mother made. Learn how to make Old-Fashioned Beef Stew.